Victim of tax ID theft? What to do next

April 11, 2015 12:32 PM

79 0

Your letter from the Internal Revenue Service says a bogus tax return was already filed in your name. Or your electronically filed return bounces back because fake returns are already on file with your Social Security number (SSN). Surprise: You may be the victim of identity theft. What can you do?

First, recognize how easy it is to hijack your personal data. "To file a tax return electronically, all someone needs is a name, date of birth and a Social Security number," writes technology editor Matt Hunter with NBC News. "The IRS accepts tax filings as soon as Jan. 1, but employers aren't requi...

Also read: EPA’s $43,000 Phone Booth for Scott Pruitt Broke the Law, Watchdog Says

Read more

To category page