US General says Afghans requested Kunduz strike

October 6, 2015 5:28 AM

20 0

US General says Afghans requested Kunduz strike

WASHINGTON: The US commander in Afghanistan, Gen. John F. Campbell, said Monday that Afghan forces had requested the airstrike that destroyed a Doctors Without Borders hospital in the city of Kunduz, conceding that the military had incorrectly reported at first that the response was to protect US troops said to be under direct threat.

But Campbell's response to criticism of the US airstrike during a brief news conference at the Pentagon did little to clarify the military's initial claims that the strike had been an accident. Nor did it explain how an AC-130 gunship, a powerful and precise attack aircraft, killed 22 people, includ...

Also read: An Afghan woman goes from refugee to military pilot

Read more

To category page

Loading...