UN: More than 600 South Sudanese evacuated from Congo park

September 12, 2016 5:05 PM

2 0

KINSHASA, Congo – The U.N. mission in Congo says it has now evacuated more than 600 South Sudanese who fled with opposition leader Riek Machar into Garamba National Park in northeastern Congo last month.

A statement issued Monday said the latest group of 152 South Sudanese were evacuated and disarmed on Sunday, bringing the total to 634. The mission said 134 more South Sudanese remain in the park and warned that the situation risked becoming "a threat to peace in Congo and the sub-region."

Also read: South Korea's President Park faces crucial week amid impeachment push

Read more

To category page

Loading...