U.N.: Up to 500 feared dead in Mediterranean shipwreck last week

April 20, 2016 3:08 PM

18 0

GENEVA - Up to 500 people are feared dead after a shipwreck in the Mediterranean Sea last week, the U.N. refugee agency said Wednesday, citing the accounts of survivors.

The disaster happened in waters between Italy and Libya, based on accounts from 41 survivors who were rescued on April 16 by a merchant ship, UNHCR said. The agency said that if confirmed, it would be one of the deadliest tragedies on the Mediterranean in the last year.

Also read: Aleppo siege: Syria rebels lose 50% of territory

Read more

To category page

Loading...