Toddler's nearly unheard-of allergy almost kills her

November 10, 2014 3:10 PM

6 0

Toddler's nearly unheard-of allergy almost kills her

A two-and-a-half-year-old Pennsylvania girl did something unremarkable while at a Walmart—and it almost killed her. The girl ate a mandarin orange while in the store; after experiencing itching and swelling, her parents gave her a dose of Benadryl, but her condition worsened, with coughing and spasming lungs.

She was having a potentially deadly anaphylactic reaction, which a co-author of a new paper about the case explains occurs when multiple organs are affected by an allergen.

Read more

To category page

Loading...