I can now add to my travel experiences "fire survivor." Thankfully, this title was earned from afar. While a guest at Oxford's historic Randolph Hotel last week, I was well out of harm's way when the fire began (I was onstage at Oxford's New Theatre as part of the Skoll World Forum, to be precise), so I didn't have to endure the trauma of an escape -- only the shock of realizing that a disaster had broken out that could have devastated people's lives.
Blessedly, every person who was in the hotel made it out safely. The hotel suffered severe damages, but there were no injuries.