LOS ANGELES – In the days following Prince’s death, those closest to him stuck up for the singer amid reports he died of a drug overdose. However, on Thursday, the Midwest Medical Examiner's Office reported Prince died of an accidental overdose after he self-administered fentanyl, a powerful opioid that is up to 50 times more potent than heroin.
Prince’s former guitarist Dez Dickerson told FOX411 he was stunned when he heard the cause of death.
15:36 'The Ring' star Daveigh Chase allegedly leaves dying man outside of hospital before fleeing scene20
21:36 White House chief digital officer among six staffers booted last week over FBI background checks: report15
19:14 Russia’s ambassador to United Nations dies in NYC at 6417
15:24 John Oliver tries to warn Trump about Putin — through horrible techno music28