Nine-Year-Old Dies from a Rare Amoeba Infection

July 14, 2014 1:41 AM

17 0

Nine-Year-Old Dies from a Rare Amoeba Infection

A nine-year-old girl from Spring Hill, Kansas, has passed away under extremely rare circumstances. Her brain was eaten by an amoeba found only in freshwater. Hally Yust was extremely active in water sports. Her mother, Jenny, stated that she loved life and lived it to the fullest, and a large part of it was enjoying warm waters. Little did her family know that Hally will fall victim to a rare amoeba, called Naegleria fowleri, which can be found in the lakes, rivers and hot springs of America.

This organism, which can appear in all sorts of fresh water settings, is not something that people should be fearful about. Specialists point out how rare it is for someone to be infected by it. The infection can only be caught if the amoeba enters through the nose and reaches the brain. Once this h...

Read more

To category page