A fishing boat packed with an estimated 700 people seeking refuge in Europe capsized north of the Libyan coast, in what may become the most deadly such tragedy in the Mediterranean.
Italy and Malta immediately deployed navy and coast guard ships in an effort to rescue survivors. Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi said Sunday that 28 bodies had been recovered and that the number is “bound to increase.” Maltese Prime Minister Joseph Muscat said 49 people had been rescued.
09:09 Will Beijing cut Trump some slack after that phone call with Taiwan?19
21:28 Trump’s Taiwan two-step: How one phone call became both a meaningless courtesy and a savvy power play13
01:20 Trump’s Taiwan phone call was long planned, say people who were involved22
14:17 Trump's Call With Taiwan's Leader Could Result in 'Severe Provocation' by China: Expert17