The actress and her husband, Simon Monjack, both died in the house within five months of each other. When Murphy died in 2009 at the age of 32, the coroner ruled her death accidental, brought on by multiple drug intoxication, acute pneumonia and severe anemia. Monjack's death was also attributed to the same factors, minus drug intoxication.
A few years after the actress and her husband died, Murphy's mother, Sharon Murphy, raised claims that toxic mold in her daughter's LA home might've killed her, according to The Hollywood Reporter. However, autopsies for both Monjack and Murphy did not find any evidence of mold.