Especially during the changing seasons, it's an all too familiar scenario: You wake up with the sniffles, you feel foggy, and then your throat starts to hurt. So in an effort to boost your body's immune system, you pop a couple of I-refuse-to-get-sick gummy vitamins. After all, they taste way better than swallowing your traditional chalky tablet. Plus they're full of vitamin C, vitamin D, and a host of important minerals -- so that means they must be doing something good for your body, right?
New York City-based nutritionist Lisa Drayer, MA RD and author of The Beauty Diet, is not so convinced. "The most concerning factor about gummy vitamins is that with any candy-like supplement, there is a risk of overconsumption, which can potentially be toxic," she says. "If you have a balanced diet...
Also read: 5 reasons why spicy food is good for you