AP Exclusive: Assad blames US for Syria truce collapse

September 22, 2016 11:16 AM

3 0

AP Exclusive: Assad blames US for Syria truce collapse

DAMASCUS, Syria — President Bashar Assad rejected U.S. accusations that Syrian or Russian planes struck an aid convoy in Aleppo or that his troops were preventing food from entering the city’s rebel-held eastern neighborhoods, blaming the U.S. for the collapse of a cease-fire many had hoped would bring relief to the war-ravaged country.

In an interview with The Associated Press in Damascus, Assad also said deadly U.S. airstrikes on Syrian troops last week were intentional, dismissing American officials’ statements that they were an accident. Assad said the U.S. lacked “the will” to join forces with Russia in fighting extremists.

Also read: Syrian troops enter Aleppo's Old City, poised for war's biggest victory

Read more

To category page

Loading...