A massive explosion, apparently ignited by a natural gas leak, ripped through a building Wednesday along the popular Northwest 23rd Avenue shopping district, causing destruction and injuring seven people, including three firefighters, authorities said.
NW Natural employees along with Portland firefighters had responded to a natural gas leak reported at 8:55 a.m. in or near the 500 block of Northwest 23rd Ave., said spokeswoman Melissa Moore. "When we got there (at 9:10 a.m.) and we evacuated the building," Moore said. "There was an ignition. We do...Read more